General criteria to obtain a G status are:
- If person is eligible for both A and G (i.e., foreign diplomat conducting business for government and also attending organization) will be given an A visa. 22 C.F.R. §41.24(b)(3)
- If person is G and has another nonimmigrant visa will be given G-status.
- Admission on G subject to DOS credential approval.
- Visa usually issued upon international organization’s request.
- Not required to have domicile abroad as with other nonimmigrant visas. Can establish intent to reside in the U.S. Elkins v. Moreno , 435 U.S. 647 (1978)
- If consular officer issues incorrect visa and DHS grants c/s to correct visa the U.S. Mission at the U.N. can reissue the correct A or G visa. 9 FAM 41.24 N.16.